Prince Edward County – just a mere 20 mins from my back door and 1.5 hours from the edge of the city of Toronto. A not-so hidden gem filled with vineyards, good eats, beautiful beaches and a seriously chill vibe. It’s one of my favourite places to hang with my family on days off and lucky me, I often can be found working on a sup board there too. After exploring ship wrecks, beaches, lily pads and water fallow in my sup programs, I always get a flood of questions of where to go next, what sand to experience, what lunch to devour, and what coffees to sip. So most recently we decided it was time to jam-pack an entire day with our favourite PEC things so I could tell all about the most perfect day filled with nature, playing and real food. Here’s our top 14 PEC gems:
1. Paddle or walk to the Wellington lighthouse. It is picture perfect, so bring your camera and get the shot-of-your-week here.
2. Get a cup of java and a delicious snack at The Vic or Bean Counter in Picton. Both warm and inviting in their own way, the perfect places to fill the belly post trail or waterway visit.
3. Skip rocks at Wellington Beach, Point Petre, or Little Bluff. These three off the beaten path beaches have it all: perfect views, clear waters, and some quiet vibes.
4. Trail walk, run or mountain bike your way through Macaulay Mountain Conservation area. The forest is a plenty here, get out and enjoy it!
5. Head for some playground fun at Wellington Park. This wooden park nestled on Lake Ontario in the center of the town of Wellington is a hit with all kids big or small.
6. Catch the Wellington Farmers Market every Saturday for local food and fare. Fresh bread, farmers veggies, cold drinks, artisan goods and lunch eats….need I say more?!
7. Cool off at Nice Ice Baby and/or Slickers for the best ice cream you can find. Homemade creative deliciousness with some many flavours you might pee your pants.
8. Get to North Beach bayside for a dip in the water. If you need to get away from the wind and go for a swim in some calm waters, head to this Lake Ontario provincial park and turn right!
9. Wood Fire Pizza at one of the many wineries. A glass for juice and a slice of perfect pizza is one of the best ways to cap off an adventure filled day.
10. Visit Lake on the Mountain for site-seeing and a patio drink. Such a beautiful spot for all and one of our favourite sup’ing spots!
11. Head to the Mustang drive-in theatre for an outdoor movie experience. Enough said.
12. Take in the lavender farm scents and sights if you’re lucky enough to be in season. And don’t forget your lavender chocolate on your way out!
13. Get some freshly picked mushrooms at Highland in Wellington. But be careful you may never want grocery store mushrooms again after tasting these.
14. Walk in the dunes of Sandbanks or Dunes Beach. Up your step count for the day and see these beach beauties
Prince Edward County fun is an area just a stone’s throw from our home that is filled with countless adventures options. Five years into living here and we have BARELY scratched the surface of its beauty. Do you have an region like this close to your city or town? Have you explored your own close to home gems? Get out there. Explore your own backyard. Fill your days with stories. Adventure awaits and I promise you will not be disappointed. For more tips on planning day adventures with your family, check out this week’s Facebook Live on our Move Eat Play group www.facebook.com/groups/moveeatplay