With the kids off school, extra time off work and some serious positive spirit in the air, December holiday’s aren’t just for Christmas cookies, bailey’s in your coffee and BBC season specials but ALSO the perfect time for some extra focus on health, activity and wellness. My family and I are big on making bucket lists aka lists of things we all want to do, see, eat, accomplish etc. We usually make one for summer, one for winter, one’s on vacations and of course, one for the Christmas holidays. We find bucket lists get us excited for what’s to come and let everyone have their say in things they want to do and see. So if you live in the Bay of Quinte or surrounding region then here’s ten Holiday Bucket List ideas for YOU:
1. Walk around a neighbourhood full of lights or the Trenton Fantasy of Lights in Fraser Park. Then jump in your car and head to the drive-up Christmas Light show at 47 Loraine Court in Trenton from 6pm to 10pm nightly with donations going to the Children’s Wish Foundation.
2. Head out of friends to public skating at one of our community arenas: the Wellington Arena in the county, the Duncan McDonald Memorial in Trenton, or the Quinte Sport and Wellness Centre in Belleville. Or even better, find a local outdoor rink to have some fun at!
3. Bake a healthier version of Christmas cookies. Here’s one we will be trying: http://asunshinemission.com/eat/festive-friday-raw-chai-spiced-cookies/
4. Go for a winter hike with family at Proctor Park in Brighton.
5. Build a snowman in your local neighbourhood park.
6. Go snowshoeing at Mt McCauley Conservation Area in Picton or Goodrich Loomis in Brighton.
7. Get your miles in and reignite your winter spirit with Lumina Borealis an interactive winter walk through Kingston’s Fort Henry.
8. Take a day trip into the county for some cider at the Cider Company in Waupoos, an outdoor play session at Wellington Park, or a walk in the dunes at Sandbank Provincial Park.
9. Enjoy an almond milk latte or tea at your favourite cafe. Not sure where to go? Try some of our favourites: The Brake Room, Belleville, E-café, Belleville, The Grind, Trenton, Lola’s, Brighton or The Vic, Picton.
10. Go tobogganing at Hanna, Zwicks, or Proctor Parks.
11. Take a family walk at Bleasdell Boulder.
12. Rent fat bikes from Ideal Bike in Belleville and hit some local pathways or trails.
13. Make a healthier version of eggnog with this recipe: https://livingwellmom.com/2015/12/dairy-free-eggnog/
14. Try your hand at snowboarding or downhill skiing at Batawa Ski Hill!
The countdown is on till Christmas Day, what do you have planned for the upcoming days and weeks? How will you make the most of this holiday season? I encourage you to incorporate moving your body, eating healthy real foods and playing outdoors as much as you can. I promise your mind, body, soul and family will thank you.
Happy Holidays to all my readers!