A few weeks back I went live on our Facebook Page to share with our watchers my four favourite pre-workout snacks to fuel your workouts effectively. And now I am back to spread some post-sweat session love. How do you maximize your recovery, your gains AND re-fuel your tank best post muscle and endurance building? My first choice is always a full macro-balanced meal but I have to admit there are days when this just isn’t possible or timed right. So when I’m in a crunch, I know I need to grab a snack to tie me over to my next meal and here are four of my favourites:
Almond Butter Banana Protein Smoothie
- 1 medium banana, frozen
- 1 tablespoon natural almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond or oat milk
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 1 scoop of vegan protein powder
- Optional: sprinkle of pure stevia
Blend and enjoy!
Cottage Cheese Banana Pancakes (pre-make, recipe is 2 servings)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
Blend all ingredients well. Heat pan and spray with coconut oil. Cook and store in fridge or freezer for easy pop into toaster. Top with powdered peanut butter, homemade jam, or fresh berries.
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek or skyr yogurt
- 1 tablespoons low sugar raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup fresh berries of choice
- 1/4 cup homemade granola or kashi go lean cereal
Mix together, top with cacao nibs or coconut and enjoy!
What’s your go-to post workout fuel? With the right ingredients in your fridge or even a little bit of weekend prep, the options are endless! Remember the working out part is only one piece of the puzzle, make sure to replenish and build with proper nutrition and rest in the aftermath!